Can Raccoons Eat Chocolate? Is It Safe For Them?

Most people think of raccoons as small, masked bandits who steal things that catch their fancy, such as the last piece of chocolate from your candy bowl. The idea of a nocturnal creature with a sweet tooth is intriguing, and the question remains: Can raccoons eat chocolate?

Raccoons are omnivorous animals. This means that they eat both plants and meat. As omnivores, they will eat almost anything they can find and digest. Of course, like most animals, there are some things that they won’t eat or which make them sick if they do.

This article will answer the question “Can raccoons eat chocolate?” and explain why it may not be such a good idea to leave it out for them to enjoy at their leisure.

Can Raccoons Eat Chocolate?

First, let’s find out if raccoons can eat and digest chocolate. The ingredients in chocolate are cocoa solids, cocoa butter, sugar, and other natural ingredients. Raccoons, like many mammals like humans, have a low amount of the enzyme needed to break down theobromine in chocolate. Theobromine is a stimulant found in both cocoa and cocoa beans.

Raccoons and Chocolate
Image par Valeria de Pixabay

Raccoons can eat chocolate, but they cannot digest it. This is because they do not have the right enzymes to break down theobromine, the main chemical in chocolate.

Why Raccoons Won’t Eat Chocolate

Raccoons are the most common animals who are known for stealing chocolate. While they love the flavor of chocolate, they are unable to digest the chocolate because they do not have the enzymes needed to break down theobromine.

Raccoons can get very sick if they eat too much chocolate, so it’s best to keep it away from them. Raccoons are intelligent and curious animals. So, when they see something they like, they may try to eat it.

They have been known to break into homes and raid candy dishes, especially when no one is looking. You may be wondering why raccoons don’t just eat the whole candy bar; after all, it’s not exactly easy to digest a tiny piece of chocolate. Well, raccoons don’t have very strong teeth for chewing, so they usually swallow their food whole. Pretty much any solid food that raccoons eat will go straight through them without being broken down at all.

The Dangers of Feeding Raccoon Chocolate

If you want to leave something out to feed raccoons, don’t leave chocolate. Not only will raccoons not be able to digest it and get absolutely no nutritional value from eating it, but it can kill them.

Raccoons have a very short digestive tract, which means that food doesn’t stay in their bodies very long before they expel it. That means that any theobromine in the chocolate will hit the raccoons’ bloodstream almost immediately.

Raccoons can’t metabolize theobromine because they don’t have the right enzymes to break it down. Theobromine is very toxic to raccoons, so it can be fatal if a raccoon eats enough of it. Theobromine causes excessive thirst, nausea, vomiting, and heart arrhythmia.

Derniers mots

Chocolate is an appealing treat for raccoons, but it can be fatal if they eat too much of it.

Theobromine is very toxic to raccoons and can be fatal if a raccoon eats enough of it. It’s best to keep chocolate out of the reach of raccoons to protect them from the dangerous effects of this tasty treat.