Can Ducks Eat Apples? Is it safe for ducks to eat them?

Can Ducks Eat Apples? Ducks go nuts over apples, so it’s no wonder that many people think they are a natural fit. However, there are some limitations to feeding apples to ducks.

This article covers a few vital things to consider if you want to feed your ducks apples without compromising their nutrition. Read on to find out more about how much apple your duck can eat.

What’s so great about apples?

Apples are packed with essential vitamins and minerals. They’re relatively inexpensive to buy and a favorite among both kids and animals.

Apples are especially rich in vitamin C, which is a key component of collagen. Collagen is a major component of healthy skin and joints in your duck, as well as in humans. It also helps keep their feathers in great condition.

Ducks and apples

Apple cider vinegar is another common product that’s made from apples, and is a common health and beauty item for humans. If you’ve ever sprinkled apple cider vinegar on your green salad, you’ll know that it has a very distinct flavor. If you feed your ducks apple cider vinegar, you’ll be able to taste it in their eggs, so be careful!

Can ducks eat apples?

Yes, But there are some limitations. The healthiest apples to feed your ducks are those that are low in sugar and rich in antioxidants. You should avoid feeding your ducks apples that are high in sugar. And rich in pesticides; these types of apples can be very damaging to their health.

You can tell if an apple has high quantity of sugar by its color and how it feels. Red apple has more sugar than green one.

An apple with low sugar like the Gala or Braeburn will provide your duck with a healthy dose of vitamins and minerals. This without loading them up with sugar and pesticides.

We wrote some topics discussing whether ducks can eat: cucumbers, flax seeds, and celery.

How much apple can a duck eat?

As with everything, moderation is the key. Too much of a good thing can easily become a bad thing, especially with feeding ducks. Also can lead to your duck producing too much uric acid, which can be very damaging to their health. Another side effect is deficiency in other important minerals, such as magnesium and iron. This can result in lethargy, reduced immunity, and even heart problems. Too much apple simply isn’t a good idea for your duck.

You should aim to feed your ducks no more than 25% apple in their diet. The remaining 75% should be a good-quality duck feed that is rich in essential minerals and vitamins.

Is there a tipping point for duck food that’s too much of a good thing?

Too much apple will result in your duck producing too much uric acid. The uric acid is then excreted in the duck’s urine, which may lead them to produce uric acid crystals. Too many uric acid crystals in your duck’s urine may result in what is known as “rocky bottom.” This is a very painful condition that can result in your duck being very reluctant to sit down.

Too much apple in your duck’s diet can also result in a zinc deficiency, which will also result in lethargy and poor immunity in your duck. Too much apple can also result in a magnesium deficiency in your duck, which can cause them to feel very lethargic.

Pros and cons of feeding your ducks apples


Despite the risks and limitations of feeding your ducks apples, there are some obvious benefits to this rich, healthy snack. If you feed your ducks apples, you’ll be providing them with a healthy dose of vitamins and minerals that are essential for their health.

There are lots of varieties of apples to choose from, meaning you can find varieties that are rich in the specific vitamins and minerals that your ducks need.


If you feed your ducks too much apple, you risk harming their health. Ducklings and young ducklings are especially vulnerable to the effects of too much apple in their diet. Too much apple in their diet may result in your ducklings growing to be very small, lethargic birds.

The takeaway: Can ducks eat apples ?

If you want your ducks to benefit from the healthy vitamins and minerals in apples, you need to provide them with types of apples that are low in sugar and rich in antioxidants.

If you want to encourage your ducks to eat apples, then you must chop or mash them up very finely so that they are easier to eat. You should feed your ducks no more than 25% apple in their diet and make sure that the remaining 75% of their diet is a high-quality duck feed that is rich in essential minerals and vitamins.

If you want your ducks to stay healthy, then you must make sure that you don’t feed them too many apples. You should also be careful when feeding your ducks other fruits, as some can cause digestive problems when eaten in large quantities.